Shadow of Night by Deborah HarknessMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Shadow of Night is the second in this paranormal trilogy from Deborah Harkness and I really really enjoyed it. The combination of paranormal fantasy and historical fiction worked really well and I thought the author did a fantastic job of describing Elizabethan England. The main character, Diana, really reminds me of Clare from the book 'Outlander' by Diana Gabaldon (another timeslip novel) in that they are both strong minded and strong willed women. But unfortunately Matthew doesn't live up to my expectation in this book and I found myself really disliking him and some of his Elizabethan friends by the end of the book (I really really can't stand Kit!!).
The odd intersection of bits of the present time which showed how Matthew and Diana were affecting the future were well done and flowed well with the rest of the story. Deborah Harkness really comes across as a talented writer and I am looking forward to the final book of the trilogy although there is no hint of a release date on it yet. With the surprise ending of this book I am intrigued to see where they go from here.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment