Sunday, 4 November 2012

The Kingmaker's Daughter (The Cousin's War, #4)The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've never really known much about the Neville sisters and so this book intrigued me. I feel that it really seemed to convey the precarious position and helplessness of daughters of powerful families of the time. But it also illustrated the rivalry and love of two sisters so was very much like 'The Other Boleyn Girl' in that regard. I only really felt pity for Isabel Neville and didn't really like her character that much. Although I started off really liking Anne Neville, by the end of the book I felt particularly disenchanted with her character and just felt she was manipulative and motivated by fearful revenge as opposed to the good of her family.

The writing of this book was the usual standard of Philippa Gregory's work and I did like the fact that the language wasn't as foul as in some of her Tudor works (not that it really bothers me). I don't know a great deal about this particular time of English History so I can't say whether it's accurate or not but I did enjoy the description of the time. The book grabbed my attention and I did stay up way too late reading it and so managed to finish it in about a day.

Overall this book is a highly enjoyable piece of historical fiction with war, love and politics. Fans of Jean Plaidy and Philippa Gregorys' other works will enjoy this book too.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment