Thursday, 16 April 2009

I think I bought too many books... oops!

Despite only crocheting for the last 1.5weeks I appear to have amassed 5, yes 5 crochet books already. I thought I would do an exciting run down on them here because we all need more crochet book reviews in our lives don't we ? :o)


The first two books I purchased to try and learn how to crochet from were Creepy Cute Crochet by Christen Haden and Amigurumi by Annie Obaachan. I think we can conclude from the fact that I managed to actually make something they are both pretty good books. Actually they are more than pretty good. Creepy Cute Crochet is the book I actually learnt the basic techniques from and the patterns in it are fab!

It has over 20 patterns in it including the grim reaper, a robot and a corporate zombie which I think I will make for 'He Who Pays'. Amigurumi also has a lot of patterns with over 15 toys to whip up but what I really like about this book is the design section. It is a 10 page section covering 'Designing animals from sketches', 'Making shapes with circular crochet' and 'Finishing touches' and I can see myself returning to this section many times in the futures.

The next two books I ordered from Amazon.co.uk and I was delighted with both of them. Amigurumi World, seriously cute crochet by Ana Paula Rimoli is definately my favourite book.



It has over 20 gorgeous designs and every one I looked at and thought 'I want to make that'. Surely that's a sign of a good book?? And the general guidelines section is really clear and well laid out. Ana Paula Rimoli has a second book Amigurumi Two!: Crocheted Toys for Me, You, and Baby, Too available for preorder on amazon which is due to be published 22 June this year. I am definately preordering that one today!


My other book from amazon was of course The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. Now I am not a big fan of the patterns that appear in the Debbie Stoller 'Stitch N Bitch' books but I love her writing in them. And her techniques lessons are so easy to follow in the books that that is why I buy them. I really find her books are staples for my knitting and crochet library.



And finally I picked up Kids Learn to Crochet by Lucinda Guy & Francois Hall in the local bookshop here in Stornoway at the weekend. The reason I did is because I have had great success teaching people to knit using their Kids Learn to Knit book and decided to give the crochet one a chance in case I was teaching anyone crochet. It's not like it's only kids who can use them is it?? Again, great technique explanations and the illustrations are dead cute :o)













So that's my crochet book purchases within the last 1.5 weeks. Sssssshhhhhh, don't tell He Who Pays :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment