Friday, 20 March 2009

Magazine Review: Let's Knit Issue 17 April 2009

This is not a magazine I get every month but picked it up this month and thought I would do a review. Please bear in mind that I only mention things I like, I don't diss things I dislike just don't tend to mention them. I will give an overall impression at the end of the review but it is in no way suggesting it's what YOU will think :o)

The free gift with this issue is a set of 3.25mm bamboo dpns. I don't use dpns but I am not about to throw away free needles so they will be going into the collection.

Patterns:
There are 22 patterns in this issue ranging from sweaters to fimo flowers. However, I would only consider making 3 of them myself and I have written about them below.

Rosita - This is a chevron bag pattern using 2ply yarn. I really like the look of this bag and can see myself using it. It looks to be a fairly quick basic knit but with enough pattern to stop you from getting bored.

Little Big Cable - a gorgeous boys cabled jumper for sizes 6-12months, 1-2 years and 2-3 years. A way to do cables without being intimating as it's on a small sweater. And because of the small size you can indulge in the recommended yarn of Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk DK which would make this a real treat to knit.

Kasbah - A fair isle design sock using black and self-patterning schoppel yarn. These socks are black with sections of fair isle knit in contrasting coloured intarsia yarn. The effect is really striking and I am definitely adding this one to may queue.

Articles:
The stitches on the bridge gets a mention which is excellent. Not just because it's my neck of the woods but also because my knit n natter co member 'Cloudpurple' is taking part. Claire Thomas's article 'Knitting in Public' was as funny, articulate and familiar as all her writing and the article 'Home Grown' about British yarns was really interesting. This looked at three British yarn suppliers 'Sheepfold', 'Toft Alpaca' and 'Home Grown & Home Spun', covering the history and ethos of the businesses and it's great to see these entrepreneurs and their successes.

'18 reasons to get online' is an excellent resources for the net savvy knitter with links to pattern makers, social networking sites, videos and more. But be warned, you may spend more time online than knitting due to this article!!! I found the guide to sock yarns useful as I love knitting socks but the yarn guide isn't something I always read. It does mention 'Ripples yarns' which is produced fairly local to me so I was quite excited to see this gorgeous yarn featured.

'When We're Not Knitting' has the usual array of podcasts and blogs for you to check out and Let's Knit normally showcase some excellent examples on this page. This month's 'My First Knitted Memory' is Ysolda Teague and I love following this young Scottish designers blog. Her patterns are simply amazing and it was a really interesting interview with her.

That's really all that stood out to me from this issue but there may be much more or much less that stands out to you. Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment