..... and I seem to be getting somewhere with eldest childs hoody. After a disasterous attempt to graft the original front and the extended rib section together I decided to take a different approach. Well I actually cried and swore a bit and then chucked the ribbed bit in the bin. I decided to just knit down from the original front bit and re-do the ribbed section. It's working great and can't believe I didn't do it in the first place.
Added to the fact that the lousy weather has left us stormbound on our rock in the Atlantic this means that I might actually manage to get the hoody finished before we are due to leave said rock on Monday. However, this entire experience has taught me something very important. In future I will try and adapt the pattern to knit in the round and then the front and the back should hopefully be the same length!!!
That is a much better solution than grafting. Brilliant! So glad you came up with it; grafting ribbing can set you on the road to madness.
ReplyDeleteDid you rip out the ribbing and save the yarn, just in case? I'm always worried that I'll run out of yarn, all the way until I have everything seamed up!
I didn't save the ribbing. 1. I was too sick of the sight of it and 2. i'd bought too much in the first place!!
ReplyDeleteAaargh! Gotta love a solution though. And I agree, top down or bottom up, you just can't beat a good seamless knit!
ReplyDelete