Between Two Thorns by Emma NewmanMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was a really intriguing start to a new series. It's an interesting take on the fairy world and although I haven't come across any sex scenes yet I would still say this isn't for young adults due to the language content.
The story is set in the present day but across three dimensions or lands, mundanus (our dimension if you like), exiluim (where the far are) and the nether (where the great families, the puppets, the fae touched, our main characters) are. Now this is where my first fault comes from with this book. It is never satisfactorily explained why, our how, these three dimensions came to be. There is some sort of story of it but not enough for me so I'm hoping it is explained in future books.
Our main female character 'Cathy' ran away from her family in the nether some time ago and is now forced to return there and to their outdated society system where she is being forced to marry the son of another great family.
But at the same time there are illegal treatments of 'mundane s' occurring that a sorcerer and an arbiter (disconnected from his soul fae policeman) are trying to resolve and Cathy end up getting them with that.
So confusing? Well yes but actually it all comes together nicely in the end and all boils down to good old political intrigue, power struggles and society battles and is frankly rather good fun to read.
However, at the end of the book things get a bit more nasty, a little bit gruesome and sets everything up for the next book which I definitely can't wait to read.
The book Itself is well written and I really enjoyed the main characters. It's nice to finally be reading a heroine who is rather punchy although Will is pretty boring. Sam is a mundane who gets caught up in it all and I really want to see more of this character in future stories as him and Cathy were a good combination. Here's hoping the author thinks so too.
With regards to the formatting of the eproof the only error I could see was a typo where there was an extra s at the beginning of Scotland and that was it. A bit of a rarity for an ebook although they are definitely improving in this area. I also liked the design of the cover.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment